Wednesday 15 August 2007

Scarlatti: Although the fingers must be light, more weight can be put through the wrist so the fingers don't need to be raised so high.

Chopin Ballade: Chopin is always so difficult. So much depends on state of mind. I'm more afraid of playing Chopin than of any other composer. The key constantly drifts and there are lines within layers within levels of sound.

Rachmaninov: Much easier - he says what he means and means what he says. The two preludes are now both fun to play. I like it once the notes are "in my fingers" as they say.

Arthur has a 16 year old student who has just come second in the Brisbane Eisteddfod. She beat adults and university students alike. I've heard her play and it is lovely. She likes to go very fast and seemingly has no fear. I suggested Arthur enter her in the national Concerto competition.

No comments: